The Man behind the success
The men behind the Company, have always been prepared for, and sensitive to, public development. In chronological order the following people have been an integral part of the Company: Paul Luise (1787 – 1859), Joseph Luise (1818 – 1891), Salvatore Luise (1862 – 1944), Francesco Luise (1872 – 1939), Giuseppe Luise (1890 – 1965), Rismondo Luise (1924 – 2002) including present directors, Tomaso, Paolo, Giuseppe, Fulvio, Massimo and Francesco Luise. The current directors of Luise Group, Tomaso, Paolo, Giuseppe, Fulvio, Massimo and Francesco Luise have followed their forefathers footsteps, with the goal of strengthening the company and giving the highest of quality assistance to all of the superyachts that now cruise the Mediterranean. Joseph Luise founded of the firm J. Luise & Sons Ltd in 1847 after sharing jobs in the harbour station with his brothers Paolo, Luigi and Vincenzo (who under their father Paul’s guidance organized the main activities which brought the Mercantile Port of Naples to life, dedicate himself to the tourist sector, specializing in yachts. History speaks for itself with many noted members of international high finance, lords, ministers, consuls thanking him for his work as a yacht agent and for his most appreciated and skillful guidance.
Following Joseph came his son. Francesco was heir to (1872 – 1939) to the family business. Francesco was capable of leading the family’s firm; his charisma, his attitude in his relationship with people, and his professionalism , won him respect from many important clients. Amongst these were: Sir Thomas Lipton, Sir Donald Currie (Prime Minister of Queen Victoria) and Sir Winston Churchill to name a few, who were his guests numerous times.
Such friendships however created some problems for Francesco and his business. Accused of anglophilia he was denied permission to run his own maritime agency. As a result, J. Luise & Sons Ltd was forced to close down for four years, from 1940 to 1943. Prior to the closure Luise & Sons had already broadened their horizons, obtaining the exclusivity of supplying great steamers such as the Cunard Line, the Orient and Bibby Lines to name a few Francesco gained the title of Honorary Agent of many of the most exclusive Yacht Clubs around the world including the Royal Yacht Squadron of Cowes, the R. Thames Yacht Club, the R. Fort Yacht Club, the R. Mersey Y.C., and many others. Following the war and the forced suspension of activity, Giuseppe (1890 – 1965), patiently brought the family’s business back to life.
He officially re-opened in 1943, as J. Luise & Sons Ltd. Rismondo followed the traditions and the principles of his predecessors. He began rebuilding relationships with other countries, which had been devastated by the war with the goal of extending the company’s operations further afield. The young Luise also decided to concentrate on the company’s strengths separating the Maritime Agency from the other business units.
Prior to this enforced break, thanks to Francesco, Luise & Sons had already broadened his operative horizons, succeeding in obtaining the exclusivity of supplying great steamers in the Cunard Line, the Orient Line, the Bibby Line and others of the same level. Not to mention the title of Honorary Agent of many Yacht Clubs of international fame – Royal Yacht Squadron of Cowes, R. Thames Yacht Club, R. Fort Yacht Club, R. Mersey Y.C., and many others. After the long stand still of the war and the forced suspension of activity, Giuseppe (1890 – 1965), patiently brought the family’s business back onto an even keel. He officially re-opened in 1943, as J. Luise & Sons Ltd.